Getting Help In Shropshire

For people with M.E. (and other disabilities) - from information compiled by Kirsteen Niven ~ Please inform the membership secretary if you discover any details that are no longer correct.

First of all - you don't have to be in a wheelchair to qualify as "disabled". Disabilities come in all shapes and sizes - from illnesses, to injuries.

The law says : A disability is a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.... That sounds like ME to me!

There are many, many organisations which will help people with ME. Unfortunately, the NHS is less helpful than others at times. Don't let that undermine you. You can still take advantage of the wealth of support from other organisations, which is sometimes free and available to anyone, whatever their condition. 

Note that external website links will open in a new window or tab. The Shropshire ME Group is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




Shropshire Disability Network

The Shropshire Disability Network is an organization covering all aspects of disability:

  • find latest news on local and national disability events

  • find out more about resources and organisations

  • share ideas, concerns and inspiration

  • support the network and help to bring about improvements in the lives of persons with disability




PCAS (Peer Counselling & Advocacy Service)

The PCAS is a good place to start . It offers a huge range of assistance. Their volunteers:

  • offer peer counselling

  • provide information

  • help with form filling (e.g. benefit claims)

  • help with letter writing and reading

  • assist with contact with Social Services

  • give Independent Living advice

  • help with overcoming isolation

Phone: 01691 658008
Address: Shropshire Peer Counselling & Advocacy Service, Powis Hall Offices, Bailey Head, Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11 1PZ



A4U Disability Service

A4U (previously DIAL) have offices in Shrewsbury and Telford (limited service) with outreach services in North & South Shropshire. They'll also make home visits if you're housebound. They provide a good source of information and support:

  • free independent advice and information on all aspects of disability

  • assistance with benefits forms, claims, tribunals etc..

  • information and advice on national and local support groups

  • advice on community care issues

  • advice about finding money for things you need - even fridge, cookers

Phone: 0845 602 5561
Address: A4U, Louise House, Roman Road, Meole Brace, Shrewsbury, SY3 9JN



Disabled Living Centre (DLC)

The DLC is a place where all types of aids and equipment are displayed - for adults and children - which can help with fatigue or pain, and help people to live as full and independent a life as possible.

  • you can see and try equipment

  • you'll be given advice from an Occupational Therapist

  • you might be loaned basic thingss

  • you'll find easy access, parking facilities and accessible toilet

You can refer yourself to the centre to make appointment to see and try the equipment and chat to one of the occupational therapists. There's no charge for this.

Phone: 01743 444599
Address: Lancaster Road, Harlescott, Shrewsbury



Shropshire Council - Health & Social Care

Shropshire Council have a Disability Outreach Team. They can assess your need for help around the home, lend specialised equipment to increase your independence and give you help with aspects of daily living which might be difficult for you.

Shropshire Council have a budget, and many clients with ME and other conditions.

ME limitations aren't always clearly visible, so you must prepare carefully for the visit - to make sure that they'll understand your needs, and give you appropriate help...

Remember: If possible, try to prepare before a visit by a social services team - think about the difficulties you have, the type of help you need, and what times of the day you need it.

Try to get advice and support with this process.

PCAS can help you to prepare for an Independent Living assessment.

Shropshire Council have a number of helpful leaflets available on request.

Phone: 0345 678 9005
For out of hours emergencies: 0845 678 9040
Complaints: 0845 678 9000
Address: Shropshire Council, Community Services, Ptarmigan, Sitka Drive, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6LG



Shropshire Independent Living Centre (ILC)

This is a service to help people with a disability to find and employ people to help with any aspect of independent living.

While based in Shrewsbury, the ILC has satellite centres in Whitchurch, Ludlow, Oswestry, Bridgnorth, Market Drayton and Telford.

Their services cover:

  • independent living advice

  • help with drawing up a job description

  • recruitment

  • training courses for employers

  • payroll service

They will help you if you want to employ someone to assist you with needs because of ME e.g. help with paperwork, personal care or someone to push a wheelchair during outings.

Phone: 01743 210820
Address: Independent Living Partnership Ltd, The Lantern, Meadow Farm Drive, Shrewsbury. SY1 4NG



Care Agencies

If Social Services are unable to meet an assessed need, they might buy in agency care, or give you Direct Payments, to buy care of your own. You can buy in care from Care Agencies like:
BNA (British Nursing Agency) and Allied Medicare.

They offer help with:

  • personal tasks like bathing, dressing, going to the toilet, etc

  • light housework

  • meals

  • laundry

  • shopping

  • outings

The charges are around £11 - £14 per hour.

You'll find the numbers of these and other agencies listed in the Yellow Pages phone book under Nurses' Agencies and Care.

Possible websites:



Wiltshire Farm Foods

This is a "frozen meals to your door" delivery service. They cater for special diets, and are nutritionally balanced and assessed by nutritionists.

Phone: 0800 773 773
Address: Independent Living Partnership Ltd, The Lantern, Meadow Farm Drive, Shrewsbury. SY1 4NG

Top of page




Your GP

Your GP can arrange long-term loans of walking sticks, wheelchairs etc.

You can phone, or send a letter giving the reasons why you need it. e.g. housebound, falls, in pain, bed bound after outings etc. Keep it short, to the point and don’t exaggerate.




Shopmobility lend out motorised wheelchairs and scooters for a few hours around the town centre. There's no charge, but you have to register with them.

Telford 01952 238005
Shrewsbury 01743 236900
Oswestry 01691 656882

The National Federation of Shopmobility UK (NFSUK)

Information, news and advice on Shopmobility across the UK



The Red Cross

The Red Cross lend out manual wheelchairs for a week or two. A small donation is requested.

Phone: 01584 874422



Supermarkets, Theatres, Art Galleries, National Trust Properties & Airports

These usually lend out manual wheelchairs – and sometimes provide someone to push them.

Some ASDA stores have powered scooters for customers (first come, first served – so you may have to wait). They also have talking parking spaces!

Phone for details.



Disability Now Magazine

This magazine is a good source of information about wheelchairs, adapted vehicles, and features about disability issues. etc. There are adverts for 2nd hand vehicles, already adapted for people with different levels of disability.

For subscription enquiries (concessions are available for people receiving DLA - ask for details)
Phone: 0845 120 7001

or you can subscribe online



Access Travel

Access Travel offers holidays abroad for people with disabilities

Phone: 01942 888844

The website provides nationwide access information.


The website is for wheelchair users. There is a Discussion Board where you can post all kinds of questions.


Top of page




Jobcentre Plus

Jobcentre Plus has a number of services to support people with all types of job related issues:

  • Personal Advisers at job centres can help you make decisions about viability of options for you

  • Benefits Advice is available, including work benefits

  • Disability Employment Adviser... They have a very wide remit, and support people in any area of employment or training, including looking for employment, or changing jobs. They also offer advice and support to people in work who are concerned about losing their job for a reason associated with health or disability

  • Access To Work helps disabled people to get, or keep, jobs. It can help with grants towards equipment, adaptations, support-workers in the workplace, travel costs etc. and can subsidise employers for the extra costs involved

    The scheme only applies to people who are working 16 hours or more

    Access to Work have paid for transport to work; and provided wheelchairs, specialised chairs, or special computer mice to people with ME. They're constantly coming up with new ways of supporting people. They do most of the work over the phone

  • Looking for work for Disabled People provides a lot of support for people on disability or illness benefits, who feel able and willing to move into work

    Website: Direct Gov - looking for work for Disabled People

You can find out more about all the above schemes by contacting your local job centre.

Phone: 0845 6043719
The address of your local office can be found at this link:

Top of page




Disabilty Law Service (DLS)

The DLS provides free legal advice and casework service for disabled people and their carers.

Phone: 020 7791 9800
Address: Disability Law Service, 39-45 Cavell Street, London, E1 2BP



Advice Guide (Citizens Advice Bureau)

Provides online legal advice for people with disabilities, from the Citizens Advice Bureau.




Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

The EHRC (replacing the Disability Rights Commission) has the following duties:

  • To work to eliminate discrimination

  • To promote equal opportunities

  • To encourage good practice in the treatment of disabled people

  • To advise the Government on the working of disability legislation

England Phone: 0845 604 6610
Address: Equality and Human Rights Commission Helpline, Freepost RRLL-GHUX-CTRX, Arndale House, Arndale Centre, Manchester, M4 3AQ

Wales Phone: 0845 604 8810
Address: Equality and Human Rights Commission Helpline Wales, Freepost RRLR-UEYB-UYZL, 3rd Floor, 3 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, CF10 5BT

EHRC Website:



Disability Now Magazine

This is a campaigning magazine which covers all sorts of disability issues.

For subscription enquiries (concessions are available for people receiving DLA - ask for details)
Phone: 0845 120 7001

or you can subscribe online

To enquire about distributors: email:



The United Kingdom Disabled People's Council (UKDPC)

The UKDPC (formerly the British Council of Disabled People) is a co-ordinating and representative body for disabled people and organisations controlled by disabled people. They aim to be a representative voice of disabled people in the United Kingdom.

Their mission is to secure by all democratic means, full and equal human and civil rights for disabled people in the U.K.

Address: The United Kingdom Disabled People's Council, Litchurch Plaza, Litchurch Lane, Derby, DE24 8AA

Top of page




Contact a Family

Contact a Family is a UK charity which helps families who care for children with any disability or special need.

The head office is in London but they also have local and regional offices throughout the UK.

Helpline: 0808 808 3555 - freephone for parents and families (Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm; Mon, 5.30-7.30pm)
Phone: 020 7608 8700
Address: Contact a Family, 209-211 City Road, London, EC1V 1JN



Action For Sick Children

Action For Sick Children produces a number of leaflets to advise parents on things like hospital stays, education, and others.

Helpline: 0800 0744 519
Phone: 01663 763 004
Address: Action for Sick Children, 32b Buxton Rd, High Lane, Stockport, SK6 8BH



Disability, Pregnancy & Parenthood International (DPPI)

The DPPI is a national service providing information about disability and parenting issues to disabled parents, professional workers and others who support them.

Phone: 0800 018 4730
Address: Disability, Pregnancy & Parenthood international, National Centre for Disabled Parents, Unit F9, 89-93 Fonthill Road, London, N4 3JH



Association Of Young People With ME (AYME)

AYME (pronounced ‘aim’) is the largest charity for children and young people with ME/CFS.

Phone: 08451 23 23 89 (Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm)
Address: AYME, 10 Vermont Place, Tongwell, Milton Keynes, MK15 8JA



Tymes Trust Young Action Online

Young Action Online has created a concentrated resource of solid information from creditable sources for young people with ME, their families and professionals, using the internet to make that information widely and freely available.

Address: YAOnline, PO Box 4347, Stock, Essex, CM4 9TE

Top of page




Shropshire ME Group

ME support group serving Shropshire. Download an application form or make contact from this website.



Action for ME (AfME)

National ME charity offering information, telephone support, newsletters, contact groups, campaigning, etc.

The membership magazine gives information about many special interest ME groups.

Phone: 0845 123 2380 / 0117 9279551 - membership enquires (Mon - Fri: 9.30am - 5pm)
Address: Action for M.E., PO Box 2778, Bristol, BS1 9DJ



The ME Association

National ME charity offering information, telephone support, listening ear support every afternoon and evening, contact groups, campaigning, magazine etc.

Non-members can contact the association through its ME Connect volunteers service:
Phone: 0844 576 5326 (10.00am - 12.00 noon, 2.00pm - 4.00pm; 7.00pm - 9.00pm)
Address: ME Connect, The ME Association, 7 Apollo Office Court, Radclive Road, Gawcott, Bucks, MK18 4DF



25% ME Group

This is a nationwide group for people who have SEVERE ME. They offer:

  • newsletter

  • talking book service / group library

  • practical and emotional support

  • advocacy / campaigning / fund raising

  • a wide range of advice and assistance / telephone support helpline

  • contact list for members

For further information about the group:
Phone: 01292 318611
*Address: 25% ME Group, 21 Church Street, Troon, Ayrshire, KA10 6HT

*Note: If writing, make the comment - "Please send me details of how to join the group". Print your name, address & telephone number clearly , and enclose an SAE.




Pages written by the members, for the members, of MEchat, an email support list for ME sufferers and their families in the UK.




UK.People.Support.CFS-ME (UPSCM) - Newsgroup

UPSCM is a a friendly self-help newsgroup providing support, information and a forum for discussion for people who have CFS/ME and their carers (mainly in the UK).


Top of page





Vitalise (formerly The Winged Fellowship Trust) is a charity that has holiday centres in England with fully trained staff and volunteers to provide 24-hour personal support and care on call.

Not suitable for people who are largely bedbound.

Phone: 0845 3451970